Tuesday, January 1, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Yesterday was probably my quietest New Year's Eve ever, but, since I spent the day sewing, it was a lot of fun.

Here are the new things I tried and really liked.

Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilt Company presents a series of free (and addictive) tutorials on the shop's website.  Jenny marks the diagonals on her quilt squares by folding the square into a triangle and pressing the diagonal.  I tried her method yesterday and accomplished so much more than I do when (as I always did before) I draw a line to mark the diagonal.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to see the crease, but the light at my sewing table is good enough that I could see the crease just fine.

Also, as a consequence of watching Jenny's tutorials, I tried quilt basting spray for the first time yesterday.  I was only working on small pieces of fabric to make throw pillows with quilted tops, but the basting spray worked great.  When I quilted the fabric on my machine, I ended up with no tucks on the back of the quilt sandwich.  Hurray!

However, next time I use the basting spray, no matter how cold the weather is, I intend to open the window first.  The spray left a wee bit of a funny odor in the room, and I prefer not to take chances with my asthma.

One of my resolutions for 2013 is to post the photographs of the projects I completed yesterday on this blog within two weeks.  (I have to be realistic; don't I?)  Plain text alone can be rather uninteresting.

I hope your new year is starting out happily.

No comments:

Post a Comment