Saturday, March 17, 2012

Mea Culpa

I thought I would have more time today, but I telephoned my mother and used up most of my blogging time.  Tomorrow I go to my guild's annual retreat for four days, so typically, procrastinator than I am, I am getting my quilting projects organized and my clothes packed at the last minute.

Here is the best of the fuzzy photos I took of my Mariner's Compass block.




Paper piecing seemed to work well.  However, when I added pieces of background fabric to this block to bring it to an 18-1/2" x 18-1/2" square, it was less than perfect with the dark gold points.  It was close enough, however, since I have made enough Mariner's Compass blocks for this block already.  So, this has been pinned and is ready to be quilted using the Cotton Theory method.  I'm planning on working on the quilting at the retreat.

Next time I make a Mariner's Compass block I intend to extend the outside pieces enough to get the sharp points on what are the gold points here in the paper piecing.  (The light gold and red points turned out great, or at least great for me.)  The block ended up being less than 12" x 12" unfinished, so I think extending the outside pieces will work out fine.

Of course, I'm not ready to make another Mariner's Compass block yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment