I have no new quilting projects to show because this past Sunday Aurora and Tremor approved the fabric for Aurora's wedding day apron. Wedding day aprons are new to me, but the concept certainly makes sense. Of course, any bride would want to protect what is probably the most expensive dress she will ever wear during the post-wedding meal.
Aurora and Tremor seemed as pleased as I was that I found fabric that was brown and had bits of green (hard to tell on the computer) and purple because those three colors are their wedding colors. Also, they are going with a nature theme, so they were excited that the pattern was all leaves.
The material looks like satin, but it's really washable polyester. I couldn't tell at Jo-Ann's, but it turns out this fabric loves to fray once it's cut. And, if you turn your head for a minute, the fabric frays some more.
In order to solve the fraying problem, all raw edges were encased in bias binding I had made. The one problem I had because I wanted to hand sew the binding down on the back was that I had to stitch just above the seam line where I had machine sewed the binding on the front side. This means picky people, like me, can see the seam line on the wrong side of the apron, but the front of the apron looks good. If anyone has a solution to this dilemma, please let me know.
Here is the apron:
The apron looks better in real life because the sunlight shining through the windows created weird shadows. Now I just have to hope that Aurora and Tremor like the finished product.