Saturday, February 25, 2012

Catching Up With My Scary Artistic Side

Those of you who remember that Tremor and Aurora became engaged last December may imagine just how excited I am to be planning their rehearsal dinner.  The venue and the caterer have been chosen (well, I hope), so, now before invitation frenzy begins, I am working on table decorations.

The Clown and The Clown's Wife are graciously allowing me to use some of the circlets of silk cream roses from their wedding on the tables for the rehearsal dinner.  Target isn't really into lending items, so I bought some glass candle holders and small electric votive candles from that emporium.  (Silk flowers and electric candles are part of the plan to prevent me from having any asthma attacks that weekend.)  One votive candle will go in each circlet and, I think, I can fit two more votive candles on the six-person tables.

Swan and possibly Shark will be manning the table at the entrance to the banquet room, where we hope to catch the guests as they enter and require them to sign fabric blocks for an eventual signature quilt for Tremor and Aurora.  (Swan and Shark will also be "forced" to repeat the process at the wedding reception.)  However, I am hoping to fit more votive candles on the quilt block table and on the hors d'oeuvre table.

Tremor and Aurora's wedding colors are brown, green, and purple.  Because of their choice of colors, I would really like to have some tasteful brown decorations at the rehearsal dinner.  In my opinion, brown silk flowers sort of look as I let them die ahead of time, but I hope I found an attractive alternative at Michaels last Tuesday.

These are a little avant-garde (where is all this French coming from?) for me for those of you who are accustomed to my boring proclivities, but I think they will work well.  I bought three glass bowls and some natural-looking decorations made in India.




You can see that the pine cones and twigs definitely have a brown theme.  Here are the bowls with the camera's zoom on and extra added glare from the sunshine coming in from the windows.








Actually, and surprisingly for me, I like the fact that each bowl is a little different.  And, I think these bowls are more attractive than flowers that look as though I forgot to water them.  Do any readers have any opinions?  (Please remember:  I probably can't return any of these items to Michaels.)

I'd like to put two bowls on the hors d'oeuvre table and one on the quilt block table, but I'll have to wait and see how much space is available.  This is also all contingent on Tremor and Aurora's approval, too, because it is their rehearsal dinner.

I have also progressed in my other artistic endevour.

I made thin purple cording for the lily/rose blocks I have shown previously.  Here's how the cording looks on one of the unfinished blocks.




And here is how the cording looks in a closeup, but it is difficult to see.  The cording is on the inside of the stitching.




The cording is a bit subtle.  However, if I learn a new (to me) technique at one of my guild's meetings, shouldn't I use it, when appropriate, in a special quilt?

The Lily Parade fabric I used also included a pretty stripe as one of the patterns.  The stripe sort of screamed "sashing" at me.  I like how it turned out, and, when I was sewing the sashing on the quilt top during a Sew Day for my guild last Monday, some of the other guild members came over and complimented the quilt top.  (I'm still pretty excited about their approbation.)  I appreciate their opinions a lot more than IT Prof's opinion that he can't get past the colors, which he doesn't like at all.




This quilt top is currently waiting for me to decide on what sort of borders would look good on the quilt.  I am 95 per cent certain that I will use one of the borders from Teri Christoperson's book The Best of Black Mountain Quilts.  I am not working on the borders now because this quilt deserves my 100 per cent certainty about its borders.  However, this quilt has potential for being one of my all-time favorite quilts to emerge from my sewing room.  (Or, at least the quilt top will.  I intend to take this quilt top to a longarm quilter.  I've put a lot of time into this top, and it deserves the best quilting, which means I can't quilt it myself.)

So, tonight I'm going to try to finish The Kansas City Star's quilt block for this February.  Before it was published, I was hoping for a pieced block.  Of course, the old adage about being careful what you wish for became true because the pieced block this month was a Mariner's Compass.  I think the process of printing the pattern pieces in the newspaper led to some distortion; if it didn't, I'm still going to use it as my excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment