Friday, August 24, 2012

Incredibly Busy Summer--Part 6

Today I digress from my digression.  I have been sewing during the last couple of days.  I finished another table hanging for Aurora.  This means I'm 5/6 of the way finished on her Christmas gift from last year.


The other project I've been working on is a walker bag for my mother-in-law.  That is still a work in progress.  I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow.

To give you some idea of what the farmers around here are suffering from the drought, here are some photos of our lake, which is ten feet down from pool depth.


If you look on the right-hand side of the photo above near the top, you can see a dock resting on what used to be the bottom of the lake.  Now the dock rests on what is becoming more and more dried-out mud.


The photo above whows a closer view of the dock, but you really need to see the long shot in order to appreciate just how much evaporation has been going on here this long, hot, dry summer.  Can you imagine how horrible it must be if your livelihood depended upon rain?


The lake generally reaches at least the bottom stone step.  The two little steps at the bottom are supposed to be for dry times, but those bottom steps are way above the waterline now.


If you can see the intake pipe on the left side of the above photo sort of in the center (it looks like a stick), you can see we're not able to use the lake to water our yard this summer.  Tomorrow IT Prof and I start watering the foundation of our house with city water in hopes that we can prevent settlement problems caused by the drought.  I really hope it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment